The Star: A boost for entrepreneurs in Sabah

 

A welcomed help: Madius (centre) presenting a mock cheque for the Technology Uptake Programme grant to Chew (right) as Ahmad Fadzil looks on.

A welcomed help: Madius (centre) presenting a mock cheque for the Technology Uptake Programme grant to Chew (right) as Ahmad Fadzil looks on.

THE Science, Technology and Innovation Ministry will be providing assistance to small- and medium-sized entreprises (SMEs) to take part in the Sirim-Fraunhofer programme which provides companies with technological audit services.

Under this programme, companies are required to fund 20% of the total cost of the technology uptake while Sirim will bear the remaining 80%.

However, Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk Seri Wilfred Madius Tangau noted that not many can afford it.

Hence, the ministry is allocating RM400,000 from its Social Innovation Fund to assist these SMEs with the programme.

“Many cannot afford to fork out the money so MOSTI is helping a little,” he explained.

The Sirim-Fraunhofer programme provides technological audit for a participating company. It helps a company identify problems within the business and provide solutions for the development of the company.

Madius said companies that have undergone the programme are able to increase their productivity, improve the standard of their products and reduce the use of electricity and cut overhead costs among others.

The two-day Sirim-Fraunhofer programme attracted a total of 35 SMEs comprising some 150 people from Sabah.

Sirim group chief executive officer Prof Dr Ahmad Fadzil Mohamad Hani said such programmes help SMEs learn more about product and business development.

He said a total of 446 SMEs nationwide have undergone the technology audit and have shown tremendous improvements in various fields.

Sirim will also be developing a new standard for kopi-o (coffee), which is the code of practice to process coffee. This is expected to benefit everyone involved in the coffee making and marketing industry.

 
Source: http://www.thestar.com.my/metro/smebiz/news/2017/09/04/a-boost-for-entrepreneurs-in-sabah/

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s